Monday, September 17, 2012

Mommy Guilt Monday 2

Well, not a single comment was left on my last Mommy Guilt post, so I am left to assume I am the only Guilt Ridden Mommy out there. Dang it.

Despite this, I am still forging ahead today revealing and releasing some more of my Mommy Guilt.
Here goes nothing...

(1) I have Mommy Guilt BIG time when I go on a Girls' outting. It is much needed to recharge my Mommy batteries, but still as I'm leaving and hear Reese call out for me or while I'm laughing with girlfriends during a dance scene in Magic Mike at the movie theater


I think of her and hope she's happy. Yes, I totally went to see this inappropriate male stripper movie with a group of girlfriends and it was a fabulous stress reliever. Thankyouverymuch.

A good friend of mine said she feels like something is missing when she's not with her daughter. She sees her as an extension of herself (like an appendage of sorts) and she feels lost without her. I have to say I often feel that way, too. I am so used to having Reese in my arms or tending to her needs it's hard to know what to do with myself when I'm separated from that for an extended period of time. This will lessen, I know, as Reese becomes more independent, but right now it rings true.

Most recently I went on a Girls' Day with a friend to celebrate her birthday. We drank coffee, got pedicures, had lunch, and did a bit of shopping.

Before that my sister-in-law, Amy, and I had a Girls' Night. We Painted Our Art Out and it was a BLAST! You must do this if you haven't. So. Much. Fun.

Wine and Painting--
What else could you ask for on a Girls' Night?


Action shots...
This shot of me was totally staged, but whatever!

 

Our finished masterpieces...
That's our painting instructor behind Amy.
He was such a goofball. 


This was a belated birthday gift from Amy for my 30th. What great memories. Thanks again Amy!


(2) I feel Mommy Guilt when I let Reese watch a bunch of T.V. Do any other Mothers out there feel this television guilt? It's not like we watch T.V. ALOT, alot, but more than I "envisioned" us watching. Reese loves to be outside, so we go on walks or to the park almost everyday. We also go to the different local libraries to check out books. We go to the Zoo, the Science Museum, and Gymboree Class every Thursday. And yes, I totally listed all of these "extras" to make myself feel better, but the truth is somedays (especially when Reese is sick) we watch T.V. Sometimes watching a favorite television show is the only thing that works. It makes her happy and content so I give in for survival. Her favorite shows right now include:


duh!



and...


Now, before you start getting all "judgy" on me please know we don't watch these EVERYday, ALL day. Sometimes we miss Sesame Street at 9, but are able to catch Sid the Science Kid later that morning at 10:30. Sometimes she wakes up moody from her nap around 2 (right when Curious George comes on) so we watch it, we snuggle, and before it's over she's chipper again. Some mornings we watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse as she's eating breakfast and I'm getting her ready for the day. She loves when Joe and I do the hotdog dance with her at the end of the show. If you don't know what the hotdog dance is you need to find out. In my opinion you aren't truly living until you've given it a go. It's a great way to start your morning off on the right foot.

(3) The last Mommy Guilt reveal for the day is I MISS TEACHING! Well, I am not sure I miss the actual teaching part, because I teach Reese at home. However, I do miss my teaching friends, having to be somewhere, and the families I used to work with. I certainly don't miss lesson plans and meetings, but all in all I do miss working outside of the home.

"Motherhood is The toughest job you'll ever love" (so says the dishtowel hanging in my kitchen) and I believe that to be the truth. It's there to remind me everyday that I'm fortunate to be her mom and to be able to stay at home with her.


So, now it's your turn to unleash your Mommy Guilt into cyberspace. Just Do it. You'll feel better.

I certainly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment