Friday, September 2, 2011

A Great State of a Fair

The start of September means it's time to start gearing up for the Oklahoma State Fair. The State Fair marks the beginning of my holiday season. If you don't know much about me--know this--I LOVE HOLIDAYS! My favorite is Christmas, followed by Halloween, Thanksgiving, and The State Fair. Yes, The State Fair is an official holiday as far as I am concerned.

My love of the State Fair started with this man.


He's my mom's dad. My Grandpa Jack Pappas. I am unsure of whether he liked attending the State Fair, however, I know he enjoyed watching Rodgers and Hammerstein's movie State Fair. Sometimes when I would stay overnight with him and my Grandma he would ask, "State Fair?" He was a man of few words, but I knew this meant he wanted to watch State Fair and wanted me to watch it with him. I must admit musicals are "just not my thing," but this musical is worth watching and I still do every year when The State Fair rolls around.


I wish you were here to watch it with me Papa Jack.

My dad, whose a firefighter for Oklahoma City, called the other day and wanted to know whether I wanted discounted tickets to this year's State Fair. The fire department sells them early and for only 5 dollars versus 9 at the gate. Ummm...What do you think?


I only bought 4 tickets thinking Joe's limit on taking me would probably be twice and since Reese gets in free we are all set! I can hardly wait. Neither. Can. Joe.

I wish I was pregnant, like last year, that way I could eat whatever I wanted and not care about the consequences.

Corn dog anyone?


Roasted corn on the cob with a jug of old fashioned root beer?


Yea, last year's fair experience is going to be tough to beat.

Who am I kidding? I may not be 5 months pregnant this year, but I plan on eating corn dogs, roasted corn, cinnamon rolls and whatever else I can get down, because it only happens once a year and that's just the kinda girl I am.

SIDE NOTE: The shirt I am wearing belongs to my sister-in-law, Kerry, who wanted one of us to wear it to the State Fair. It's a picture of her brother and his wife. They try to wear it all around the world and get photos of different people wearing it. Don't worry, I hardly got any weird looks. I fit right in with the "other people" there. If you've ever been to a State Fair you know it equals GREAT people watching.

I'll leave you with two things:

(1) The link to the Oklahoma State Fair website.
I know after reading this you will be urged to attend.

State Fair of Oklahoma 2011

(2) The theme song for the movie State Fair.


May you love it as much as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment