Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Perfect Baby Name

Joe and I spent quite a bit of time trying to agree upon a girl and boy name for our baby. Since we didn't know whether our baby was a girl or boy we needed to have both names ready when we greeted him or her.

I begun the quest for the perfect baby name by doing what most women do--buying baby name books. I went through and marked every name I liked. Then I would call out the names to Joe. He would respond "Hate It" "It's OK" "It's Not My Favorite" or "Are You Kidding Me?" I knew Joe was never going to say "OMG I love that name" because that just isn't Joe.

I still remember when I called out the name REESE. I thought Joe would say "Hate It" because this was his common response, however, he didn't. I'll never forget, he said "Hmmm, that's a nice name." This was the best response he had given me yet. I thought--PROGRESS--Joe actually likes a name I really like, too! I read the meaning of the name REESE...


I thought it was such a strong name. I also thought it would be wonderful to have a daughter who was both passionate and enthusiastic like her name suggested. Then I played devil's advocate. I asked Joe, "What if she marries a guy with the last name Reese?" Joe and I agreed this was unlikely and if she truly fell in love with a Mr. Reese she wouldn't mind being Mrs. Reese Reese. Then I asked, "What if she hates people asking if she was named after Reese Witherspoon?" We decided it wasn't that big of a deal and it might be a good conversation starter anyway. I also worried, "What if people make fun of her and call her Reese's pieces or Reese's peanut butter cups?" We concluded those were both such delicious candies and wondered if it would it even be considered an insult? We thought not. 

Then I reminded him that I had always loved the name CAROLINE. I love this name for many reasons. For one, I love the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline." It has such a SWEET sound to it. I told Joe we could sing it to our daughter and whenever she heard it she could think of us and how much we love her.

I first grew to love the name CAROLINE when I saw the movie Untamed Heart. The lead actress is played by Marisa Tomei and her character's name is CAROLINE.

The name CAROLINE also reminds me of my Grandma Carol who died the month Joe and I married. I miss her and think of her often. She was a very special person and made a lasting impression on me.

Honestly, I probably would have named my baby girl CAROLINE if I was the only one making the decision because I loved the name that much. Joe liked the name also, but he thought it was too similar to my name--Kara--to be used as a first name. I remember reading the meaning of the name CAROLINE...


Soon after we discussed these two names separately, Joe thought of putting them together. He suggested we could still sing "Sweet Caroline" to our daughter but substitute the word "Sweet" for "Reese." It actually sounds really good when we sing our version of the song to Reese. She smiles and laughs now when I sing it to her. Somehow I think she must know it's her name and a special song just for her.

The more I get to know my daughter, Reese Caroline, the more I discover she is living up to her name's meanings. Here is a recent picture showing her passionate, enthusiastic, and strong personality...


Even now when I see and hear her name I love it more and more.

I love the way it looks stitched onto to the things I've bought her...



I love the way it looks hanging down the wall in her room...


I love the way it looks on the prayer card she was gifted...


Mostly, I love the girl who we call Reese Caroline. She is such a special gift. I cherish her each and every day. I am so glad I get to be her Mommy. I am confident we gave her


No comments:

Post a Comment