Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Like Mother, Like Daugther

We all have our favorite sleeping positions. Before I got pregnant I used to sleep on my back with my hands on my stomach. Boring I know, but hey I was comfortable. Occasionally when I woke up I would be flipped over on my stomach, but all in all I was a back sleeper. After I got into my second trimester of pregnancy I was forced to change from my favorite sleeping position. All the books I was reading and my doctor recommended that I sleep on my side to allow proper blood flow to the baby. It was difficult to adjust at first, but eventually I got used to it and actually grew to like it. Towards the "bitter end" of my pregnancy, as I like to call it, I had a bazillion pillows all around me to help me sleep. Joe would always make fun of the fact that he couldn't even kiss me goodnight because of the pillows that barricaded him.

From the beginning Reese has had some strange sleeping habits. For one, she makes the strangest noises while she sleeps. Noises that are so loud I think she must be awake when in fact she is asleep. Also, babies are meant to be swaddled after being born, however, Reese wasn't having ANY of that. She absolutely hated to have her arms restricted and still does. This is a picture of Reese swaddled from the arms down--just like she liked it!


Reese wasn't the best sleeper in the beginning. Actually, she hated to sleep! I often thought there must have been a mixed up at the hospital, because any child of mine should be a sleeper. I used to consider myself a professional sleeper. When she did sleep, though, her favorite sleeping position was in my arms laying chest to chest. My mom had to purchase a "Nap Nanny" when we got really desperate, so I could have a break from holding her. The "Nap Nanny" advertised to make even the most difficult napper, nap. Here are some pictures of her in the "Nap Nanny." Sometimes it made a napper out of her--sometimes not.



This is my favorite "Nap Nanny" shot.
 I did not put her in like this. 
She hiked her leg up on her own.

Since she has started sleeping in her crib Joe and I set up a monitor so we can see and hear her at night. Our room is upstairs and Reese's room is on the main level, so we invested in a monitor with a far range. Here are some monitor shots of Reese sleeping. Sometimes Joe and I laugh at her unusual sleeping positions. It doesn't look like she could possible be comfortable in some of these, however, she must be. 

 Reese facing the back railing of the crib. OUCH!

Her head facing the railing in the other direction. OUCH again!

Her favorite sleeping position.
Most of the time her body forms a X.

I never understood how Reese could find sleeping with her arms beside her head comfortable. That was until Joe took this picture one morning of the two of us sleeping together. I guess that saying "Like Mother, Like Daughter" holds true--with the way Reese and I sleep anyway.


Sometimes, I miss sleeping with her next to me or on my chest. I will never forget those precious sleeping times we shared together. I loved knowing she was safe. I loved hearing her breathe. I loved having her close to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment